Do you have a favorite pasta dish? Alex does. Her favorite is any pasta, with butter and mozzarella cheese. That’s it. If she had her way, she would have pasta with every dinner. Most lunches too. But since she doesn’t get to pick her menu (suggestions are OK), she has to eat a more varied pasta menu.
I had seen several recipes similar to this one, but all of them included a heavy tomato sauce, that my Girls wouldn’t like. I adapted several different recipes, and adjusted the spices to meet their tastes. If you don’t have fresh herbs, use dried, but fresh would be better.
Oh, and enjoy!
- 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 leaves fresh mint, finely chopped
- 8 fresh basil leaves, finely shredded
- 3 tbs fresh parsley, chopped
- 15 oz can tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano
- 1/4 lb mozzarella, sliced
- 1 lb fettuccine
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté garlic till golden.
- Add basil, parsley, mint and chili flakes.
- Sauté a minute or two more.
- Stir in the tomatoes, salt, pepper.
- Cook over medium-high heat (a fast bubble) stirring occasionally till sauce thickens, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile bring pot of water to the boil.
- Cook the pasta. Do not overcook; make sure it is al dente.
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- When ready, drain the pasta very well, and mix with the sauce either in pan or in a bowl.
- Transfer all to a ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle on the cheese and lay the slices of mozzarella on top.
- Bake for a few minutes till cheese melts and bubbles.Serve hot.