What is Fresh Fare Friday? By the end of the week, I’m usually craving something light, a little on the healthier side, and easy to prepare. I’ll try to pick out my favorite recipes, featuring fewer ingredients, fresh from the market. Not strictly vegetarian, but leaning that way.
Oh, and enjoy!
3 teaspoons salt
8 ounces whole wheat fusilli
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 slender zucchini, halved lengthwise, sliced into 1/4-inch thick pieces
5 scallions, chopped
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 lemon, rind peeled in strips
Small pinch red pepper flakes
12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
5 large basil leaves, sliced
1/4 cup grated Parmesan (optional)
1. Bring a large pot of water with 2 teaspoons of the salt to a boil; add the fusilli. Cook until al dente.
2. Warm 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the zucchini, scallions, pine nuts, lemon peel, red pepper flakes, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt; cook, tossing frequently, until zucchini is well browned and tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Use a slotted spoon to transfer zucchini to a serving bowl. Remove lemon peel from pan. Mince 1/2 teaspoon of the peel and discard the rest. Squeeze half the lemon over the zucchini.
4. Turn heat to medium-high and swirl in remaining olive oil. Add the chicken, minced lemon peel, and remaining salt; cook, stirring, until golden, about 7 minutes.
5. Drain fusilli, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking water. Add fusilli, zucchini, and reserved cooking water to skillet. Cook 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and top with the basil and, if using, Parmesan.
Source: Fitness Magazine