Saturday just seems like a great day for a sandwich. And I don’t mean a few slices of meat between 2 slices of bread wrapped in foil and thrown in a paper bag kind of sandwich. I mean a SANDWICH sandwich!
Saturday’s are special, so watch for a different special sandwich right here every Saturday.
Oh, and enjoy!
- 11/2-pound green cabbage, thinly sliced 4 cups
- 2 tablespoon(s) cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon(s) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) kosher salt
- (4) 4-by-6-inch pieces of focaccia, split
- 1/4 cup(s) ketchup
- 1/4 cup(s) mayonnaise
- (8) 1/4-inch-thick slices of Gruyère cheese, 4 ounces
- 1/2 pound(s) thinly sliced corned beef
- 2 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter, softened
2. Heat a panini press or griddle. Arrange the focaccia on a work surface, cut sides up. In a small bowl, combine the ketchup with the mayonnaise. Spread the dressing on the bottom halves of the focaccia. Set a slice of Gruyère on the dressing. Top with the corned beef, pickled cabbage and the remaining slices of Gruyère. Close the sandwiches and spread the outsides of the focaccia with the softened butter.
3. Add the sandwiches to the press and cook over moderate heat until the cheese has melted and the focaccia is crisp and golden, about 6 minutes. Cut each sandwich in half and serve right away.