Have I mentioned that I love my crock pot? I should give her a name, but I wouldn’t want to upset Nancy, my GPS. I figured since I use my crock pot a lot, that I would post my favorite recipes for Manic Monday- Let’s Go Make Some Noise. I mean Soup.
Oh, and enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced carrots (½-inch pieces)
- 1 cup diced celery (½-inch pieces)
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced onion (½-inch pieces)
- 1 lb dry, rinsed green peas (or about 2 cups of fresh or frozen peas)
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tspground black pepper
- 1 lb cured ham, cut into quarters (cook with the skin on for extra flavour)
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme (plus extra for garnish)
- 3 bay leaves
- 7 cups water
Place all of the ingredients into the slow cooker. (If you are using fresh or frozen peas, add them during the last 30 minutes of cooking instead.)
Cook on low for 6 hours (or high for 3 hours).
Transfer the pieces of ham into a bowl where you can shred the meat into small, bite-sized pieces.
Remove and discard the thyme and bay leaves.
Stir the ham back into the soup and ladle into bowls.