Why Stews Days on Tuesdays? No reason, other than because it rhymes. Every Tuesday, look for a new stew recipe. Same place, same time.
What is it about a hearty stew that makes you feel better, especially on a cold day? For me, it’s a comfort food memory from when I was little. What about for you?
Oh, and enjoy!
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
- 1 pound skinned, boned chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
Prepare rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
While rice cooks, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Combine chicken and the next 5 ingredients (chicken through black pepper) in a bowl. Add chicken mixture to pan; sauté 4 minutes. Stir in wine, capers, beans, and tomatoes. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until tender. Serve over rice.