Saturday just seems like a great day for a sandwich. And I don’t mean a few slices of meat between 2 slices of bread wrapped in foil and thrown in a paper bag kind of sandwich. I mean a SANDWICH sandwich!
Saturday’s are special, so watch for a different special sandwich right here every Saturday.
Oh, and enjoy!
- A round loaf of a rustic french bread.
- olive tapenade (purchased, or make your own by dicing up olives, garlic and olive oil into a paste)
- sliced sandwich meats such as turkey, salamie, mortadella, beef–whatever you like but remember this is an Italian sandwich)
- sliced red onions
- sliced cheese such as swiss or provolone
- leaves of fresh spinach and/or lettuce; some basil would be nice
Slice the top off a large round of french bread. Reach inside and pull out the center portion of the bread, so that the crust is hollowed out.
Spread tapenade on the bottom of the interior of the loaf of bread. Now layer the meats, cheeses, onions and greens, alternating colors and flavors. Finish with another generous spread of tapenade. Return the “lid” of bread to the loaf.
Slice the loaf in half, exposing the layered sandwich interior. Then slice into individual servings or allow your guests to help themselves.