Why Stews Days on Tuesdays? No reason, other than because it rhymes. Every Tuesday, look for a new stew recipe. Same place, same time.
What is it about a hearty stew that makes you feel better, especially on a cold day? For me, it’s a comfort food memory from when I was little. What about for you?
Oh, and enjoy!
2 tbsp. butter or olive oil
3 bay leaves
2 lbs. beef stew meat
1 lg. onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp. dry thyme
1 tsp. dry rosemary
4 tbsp. all purpose flour
1 1/3 C. beef broth
1/2 C. Guinness (or other dark beer)
1 1/2 C. carrots, sliced 1/2″
3-4 medium potatoes, cubed
1-2 tbsp. fresh minced parsley
salt, to taste
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Instructions: 1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees F. Trim most of the fat from the beef and cut into 1 to 1 1/2″ cubes.
2. In a large dutch oven (or other oven-safe dish), heat the oil or butter over medium-high heat on stove-top.
3. Add the bay leaves and cook until fragrant. Add the onions.
4. Cook onions just until translucent.
5. Add stew meat. Brown on all sides over high heat, about 2-3 minutes.
6. Remove from heat and stir in garlic, rosemary, and thyme. Add flour and stir until well mixed.
7. Return to heat and stir in beef stock until smooth. Add Guinness.
8. Bring to a simmer and allow to thicken slighly.
9. Stir in potatoes, carrots, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.
10. Remove from heat, cover, and place in oven.
11. Bake, covered, about two hours, stirring occasionally.
12. Serve up in a bowl or in a pumpkin (as pictured below) with lots of hot crusty bread and butter.
Recipe to Serve Beef Stew in a Pumpkin
This is really impressive, pretty, and oh-so tasty. Add another two hours of cook time to make your stew this way.
1 medium pumpkin (about 10 lbs.)
1 recipe for beef stew (above)
1 tbsp. olive oil
Instructions: 1. Prepare stew. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
2. Wash the outside of the pumpkin well.
3. Cut a hole with a 5-7″ diameter into the top of the pumpkin. In the photo, a small amount of pumpkin was trimmed away to decorate the stew for a Halloween recipe. This is optional!
4. Scoop out all seeds and loose, stringy fibes (from both lid and pumpkin).
5. Place empty pumpkin in a roomy but shallow baking dish.
6. Pour in your prepared beef stew.
7. Replace the pumpkin top.
8. Brush outside of pumpkin and top with olive oil.
9. Bake about two hours, until tender.
10. For each serving, scrape out a little bit of pumpkin along with the stew.