Saturday just seems like a great day for a sandwich. And I don’t mean a few slices of meat between 2 slices of bread wrapped in foil and thrown in a paper bag kind of sandwich. I mean a SANDWICH sandwich!
Saturday’s are special, so watch for a different special sandwich right here every Saturday.
Oh, and enjoy!
- 16 thin slices grain bread
- 16 slices bacon, halved crosswise
- 2 red onions, cut into small dice
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 8 sprigs cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 mint leaves
- 2 jalapeno peppers, cut into small dice
- 4 avocados, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 limes, juiced
- 8 thin slices gravlax (or substitute smoked salmon), plus 2 more slices cut into 16 strips crosswise and rolled into rosettes
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Toast the bread slices and let cool.
Roast the bacon in oven until crisp.
Chop red onion, tomato, cilantro, garlic, mint leaves, and jalapeno finely. Put in a bowl. Add the avocado and pour in lime juice. Toss the avocado mixture and season well with salt and pepper.
Place 1 tablespoon avocado mixture on each slice of gravlax. Fold the gravlax into a square, so that the avocado is wrapped in the center. Place the bacon and gravlax between 2 slices of bread. Cut the sandwich diagonally. Place a rosette on top each half and place 2 pieces of bacon on top of the rosette.